Autobiography of Peter Stubbs A.D. 1824

Stubbs Nelson Hart Pickett Home Tervort Wride Davis Bradshaw


Peter Stubbs, son of Peter and Jane (Steele) Stubbs, was born at Newton, Middlewich, Cheshire, England, on December 13, 1824.

My mother died when I was ten months old.† Her family were old residents of Cheshire.† Her father, John Steele, was a chair maker and turner and made himself independent by his trade.

My father died when I was five years of age.† He was a master millwright, succeeding to the business from his father.† The Stubbs family were also long residents of Cheshire.† Some lands in the neighborhood bore the name of Stubbs, showing that my father's people had long lived in Cheshire There were three children of us - my two sisters, whose names were Mary and Emma, and myself being the youngest.

The days of my childhood were not filled with unhappiness deprived of a home; a mother's love and father's care were unknown to me, left a waif as it were upon the cold world.

It is here I attended some private schools and went to what was then known as the National School, but this only for a short time and, so far as an education it has been attained in the course of the practical life that I have led.

Happy and blessed are the children who have the love and tender care of kind and indulgent parents all this was unknown to me, and I received more kindness from strangers for whom I worked than from any of my uncles.† My Aunt Sarah Stubbs and Mrs. George Steele were kind to me.

†We children, at father's death, were left in charge of my uncle on my father's side, John Stubbs, who was not very kind to us~-and got us off his hands as soon as possible.† He bound me an apprentice to a Tailor when I was but twelve years of age; but, my master failing in business, I was freed from my bonds.

A.D. 1840

It was in January 1840, that I left the Tailoring business and the home of a Mr. James Stevenson, in Salford, Manchester, and went down to my Uncle George Steele at Middlewich, Cheshire, the place of my birth.

About February, 1840, when 15 years old, I was in company with some boys of my age and went with them into a Mormon meeting--more as a boyish idle prank than for the purpose of listening to what was said.† But my attention was gained by the speakers on the occasion--their earnestness and sincerity.† The strength of the testimony they bore of the ministry of angels unto Joseph Smith had a wonderful effect upon me, and a strong impression in favor of the new doctrine took possession of my mind.† The speakers on the occasion were Samuel Heath, of Mackelsfield, and Hyrum Clark, an American Elder, who left Nauvoo in August 1839, in company with Parley and Orson Pratt as missionaries to England.

I was so wrought upon by what I heard then, and at subsequent meetings that I attended, that I commenced to talk up the Gospel So far as I understood it to my relatives.† This seemed to embitter my Uncle George Steele towards me, and he treated me so harshly that I ran away to Liverpool.† From here I wrote to my married Sister, Emma (Merrill) at Manchester, and she sent me money to pay my fare to that city.† This was about the middle of 1840.

A few days after my arrival obtained a situation with Henry Walker, Baker and Grocer of Rusham Sane, Charlten, Upon Medlock, Manchester. Soon after my engagement here, I heard that the Mormons were about to open Carpenters Hall in Manchester.† I attended the first or second meeting held there, and continued my attendance until through the preaching and teaching of the Elders I became convinced that they had the truth, and that the Church of Christ had again been restored by revelation through Joseph Smith and on the 13th of September, 1840, I was baptized by Elder James Makon and became a member of the Manchester Branch.

I worked for H. Walker until the fall of 1843, when I left and was out of work for about three weeks, when I found employment with Thomas Holbrook of Oxroad, Manchester, with whom I worked until February 1853.

I started with Mr. Holbrook as assistant Baker, but was soon promoted to first hand, and after had charge of the business for a number of years. I gained the friendship and respect of Mr. Holbrook to such an extent, that although he was not a member of our church he allowed me many privileges So that I was able to give much time to my Church duties.


I was now a Priest, having been ordained February 18, 1852, and before I left England was ordained an Elder both ordinations by Elder James Newton, who after some time immigrated to Utah and lived in Salt Lake City.

Mr. Holbrook was so favorably disposed towards the Church that his house became the home of the missionaries from Zion.† Parley Pratt and Wilford Woodruff often stayed at Mr. Holbrook's, and so many courtesies were extended by my master through his favor to me that the Elders used to say I was doing more good than to immigrate to Zion.† In all I stayed with Mr. Holbrook about ten years.† Here at the shop I first saw my present living wife Elizabeth Dunn.† She used to come to our shop for the family's bread when she was a little girl.

I gave much time and means to Church work while in Manchester.

My sister, Emma, unfortunately marrying a man named Merrill who although a clever bricklayer, was addicted to drinkĒ wasting his means to such an extent that I had to support them through several winters from my earnings. This was quite a drain on my finances, but before I left England my sister, Emma, obtained her husband's consent to her emigrating to my other sister (Mary) who had cone out to America and was at the time in St. Louis. She, Emma, married a man at St. Louis named Roberts.† She afterwards came on to Utah and married W.G. Dunn--but being overcome with the doctrines of the josephites, she went back to St. Louis where she now lives at the date of this writing, December 22, 1903.

1853 On the 15th of February 1853, I embarked on the Ship Elvira Owen with 345 Saints under the direction of Joseph W. Young, Captain Owen in charge.† We had a quick voyage, but the pleasure of our short passage was marred, Small Pox breaking out on board.† A child who had been afflicted with the disease was passed on board before the disease had entirely left it.† Brother John R. Winder--now in the Presidency of the Church--caught it, and a Brother Jones from Dover died from its effects.

We landed at New Orleans March 31, 1853. and here we took passage on the River Boat up the great River Mississippi for St. Louis.† I left the Company here and visited with my sisters, Emma and Mary. Emma was again married to a Mr. Roberts as I have before written, and Mary was there at St. Louis with her husband, John Hindley, whom she had married in England several years prior to their leaving for America.

At embarking on the Ship Elvira Owen I had paid my entire fare through to Salt Lake City, in what was known as the Ten Pound Company.

I persuaded my brother-in-law, John Hindley, (contrary to his previous plans) to leave St. Louis and go on to Salt Lake City that season; therefore, to be in company with him and my sister, Mary, I sold out my interest in the Ten Pound Company and agreed to join him in crossing the Great Plains.

John Hindley bought a yoke of oxen and wagon, and after a month's stay in St. Louis I took steamer for Keokuk, Iowa, with the oxen and wagon on board in my care. Keokuk was the point for outfitting for the Plains that year.

Landing here, I hitched up the team and traveled with Captain Clawson's Company to the West, away across the State of Iowa to Council Bluff, where I met Brother Hindley as agreed upon between us.† He had come up the Missouri River to this point.† Here Brother Hindley bought more oxen and another wagon.† After a short stay at the Bluffs, we started across the Plains in Captain Bailey's "Independent Company".† This word, "independent," means that we had fitted out entirely on our own resources without aid from the Church--as a fund known as the Perpetual Emigrating Fund had been gathered in the Valley to assist the Saints to emigrate, but we fitted ourselves out entirely through our own means. After a pleasant journey across the Plains we arrived in Salt Lake City about the 25th of September 1853.

We went to William Dunn's who had emigrated from the Manchester Branch, some years prior to our arrival.† We soon rented a house. I stayed in Salt Lake City about two months.

We then started out with a view of locating in Sanpete.† The Indians were quite troublesome at this time.† On our arrival at American Fork enroute for Sanpete, we put up for the night with a Mr. John Singleton and he persuaded us to locate in American Fork.

Brother John Hindley bought a log house here at American Fork and a certain piece of land on which it stood--the place where their house now stands on the north of the Public Square in American Fork City.

1854 In the summer of 1854 I farmed on shares for John Singleton.† In the fall of that year the grasshoppers came in swarms and laid their eggs.


I started putting in grain on the farm early as I could in the spring but the grasshoppers hatched out and destroyed most of the crops eating off the grain as soon as it came up.† This is told in a few words but the suffering brought upon the people in the loss of their crops through the pest of grasshoppers would take pages to tell the story.

At the April Conference of 1855 I was called on a mission to the Indians of the Elk Mountains, and also with a view of establishing a settlement there.† The company numbered forty men with ox teams and a few horses.† No women were with us on account of the hazardous nature of our venture. Alfred N. Billings was appointed our Captain.† The nature of the country made it very difficult for traveling--at one place our wagons had to be taken apart and let down a steep decline, part at a time with ropes.

Arriving at the place now called Moab just across Grand River, Grand County in the South Eastern Utah, we built a fort and put in crops.† The wheat did not do well; the corn was fair; the seed was all in the ground by the 15th of June.† Our fort was of rock, about sixty feet square, with stockade built of logs set in the ground, the same width as the fort and about 120 feet long.† Here we stacked our hay and corn fodder and kept our stock at night.

Some of the brethren would not stay and they left the fort, returning to their homes in the settlements.† The nearest settlement to us was Manti a little over one hundred miles distant.† They left in small companies until there were only fifteen of us left.

About the last of September the Indians of the neighborhood, under chief quick, became quite ugly and threatening, the cause of which was unknown to me just a few days before the Indians attacked us, the largest number of our brethren that had left us at one time departed from the camp.† The Indians knew the smallness of our numbers.† The most dangerous Indian was the son of the Chief named Charlie.† On a Sunday afternoon, September 23, 1855, this Indian Charlie shot James Wiseman Hunt (my bunkie} my companion. He was from American Fork.† We slept together.† He was shot in the back. Some nine of us, when we heard he was shot, went out from the fort and carried him to the fort; some twenty-five or thirty Indians rode up on their horses from the river and commenced shooting at us.† But the boys at the fort opened fire at the Indians knocking one nearly off his horse.† We supposed he must have been desperately wounded.† With the blessings of the Lord we got safely inside the fort and while I attended Brother Hunt the boys tried to keep the Indians back.† Good fortune was with us, for the holes that we had made inside the stockade for the mud to help build our fort were full of water, or the Indians might have turned the stream from running into or near our fort and thus made us surrender.

But our stay at the fort was not to be for long.† The Indians tried to fire our stocks and did at last.† But the Indian that did it was shot.

Another, that crawled up close to the fort, was seen by one of the men to part some heavy, coarse grass that grew near where the spring was located, and he shot him in the breast.† We were pretty sure that three Indians were killed. Alfred N. Billings was shot in the finger, but no bones were broken.† In the afternoon some talk was had with the Indians but nothing that gave us satisfaction resulted there from during the night Brother Hunt died.† Two of our brethren were out hunting and no doubt they were killed that afternoon as they came towards the fort.† Their names were William Behunin and Edward Edwards.† We never saw them again.

We held a Council of War and it was determined that the best action to take would be to vacate the fort and make our way for the settlements.

Next morning we left for Manti No Indians were seen.† We left fifteen head of oxen and nine cows at the fort and the body of poor Brother James Wiseman Hunt, unburied.† We were all horseback, our Captain Alfred N. Billings having two horses. A small sack of flour was all we had in the shape of provisions.† We, after much suffering, reached Manti September 30, tired, weary and worn out by travel and the excitement of the repelling the attack of the Indians.

Brother john McEwan (father of john, Amanda and Mary Jane McEwan all of Provo) was lost for three days, but a searching party from Manti found him alive and brought him into Manti.† His sufferings were intense and he was in a very weak state when found.

I got back to American Fork early in October 1855, and worked for Brother Hindley for my board that winter.† To give one's entire labor for board seems today a great hardship, but in those early days, shelter and food were hard to obtain.† The great question so often asked and of such weighty import then was; "Have you go your bread stuff?"† While today it may be "Have you got your piano?"

It was a struggle for existence in those early days, and with the plenty that now surrounds us one can hardly realize the hardships endured, the battles fought with the then sterile soil, and the effects of the attacks of the famine-breeding myriads the grasshoppers 1856.

I continued working for John Hindley in 1856, working his farm on shares, which together with fifteen acres of meadow of my own kept me busy.† In the fore part of that year there was a great scarcity of provisions in Utah, and feed for cattle, many cows and oxen died from starvation--the grasshoppers came again and sadly injured my crop, so that there was very little for my share in the fall.

I was now about thirty-two years old, and thought it was time I was married.† My choice went out to Elizabeth Dunn, the daughter of William G. Dunn, then living in Salt Lake City.† I went to the city and spoke to her father and mother in regard to the matter and gained their consent to pay court to their daughter, who was not quite seventeen years of age.† Upon my making known my desires she accepted me, and in a few weeks we were married by Bishop Hickenlooper of the 6th Ward, Salt Lake City, on the 19th of October 1856, at the house of Brother Dunn, Charles Walker and William Barnes were witnesses to the ceremony.

I left my wife with her parents for some little time, and went back to American Fork to make what arrangements I could for a home.† I was very poor, had no means to provide a comfortable home.† At the same time I was as well off as most young, single men at the time of my marriage and had health, strength and a willingness to work at anything that would add to the comfort of my wife.† I had traded for two log rooms but had very little furniture to put in them, and altogether our means were very limited through the first winter.† My wife made every effort with what she had at her command to make us comfortable and with considerable success.

1857 Next spring I rented some land from Solomon Thomas and raised a fair crop we at this period in common with the greater number of the people were lacking in many accessories for our comfort, and even for tools to prosecute out labors on our farms.† But our wants were supplied through means that were intended for the destruction of all of us, as a people.

In 1857 the U.S. Government sent an Army against the People of Utah, influenced by the false reports forwarded to Washington by Judge W.W. Drummond.† Our people took the alarm and the Elders were called home from foreign missions, and the Saints who had settled in Carson Valley, on Salmon River, Green River, and in Southern California, were all called home.

The Army did not come in that season, but through the efforts of Brigham Young, then Governor of the Territory, the militia was called out, who so harassed the Government Troops in burning off the grass that they were forced to encamp at Bridger for the Winter-and cool their courage in the snow.


In the spring the newly appointed Governor Alfred Cummings came in and investigated the charges made by judge Drummond and found them to be false explanations followed, satisfactory on both sides, and in the month of June the Army, under Albert Sidney Johnson, left Bridger and marched through Salt Lake City and encamped in Cedar Valley at the mouth of North Canyon.† The incoming of the Army consisting of three Regiments of Infantry, two companies of Cavalry and one of Artillery-numbering in all about four thousand with the camp followers-proved a great blessing to the people of Utah.

We were out of iron; wearing apparel and tools were very scarce.

The Army opened up a source of supply for all our wants and the People of Utah were the gainers to a great extent, by this visitation of the flower of the American Army, and my condition was much improved by their coming.

My self and Brother Hindley joined together, and buying a few provisions, vegetables, took them to the Camp and sold them to the soldiers at a very good profit.† We continued this trade until the soldiers moved to Fairfield, calling their encampment Camp Floyd.

At Camp Floyd we built a small store and a bakery.† My trade learned in England then came in good use to me.† We made money here, and ran the bakery business all through the stay of the Army until the soldiers were withdrawn from Utah on account of the attempt of the Southern States to secede from the Union.† The departure of the troops like their incoming and stay was of great benefit to the People of Utah.† It was estimated at the leaving of the Army four million dollars worth of stores was sold for about one hundred thousand dollars.† When the troops left, I moved to Provo City and bought the home and farm of Orson P. Winsor, the place where I now reside.


I paid one thousand eight hundred dollars for the home and farm, in trade such as stock, horses, etc.† Brother Winsor moved to St. George, Washington County, Southern Utah.† About this time Mr. Joseph Birch, an old acquaintance and myself were offered $6,000.00 of merchandise by dyer Brothers and Co.† We contracted to pay for them in flour the next spring.† We bought about as many more goods that winter, also to be paid in flour.

We loaded two wagon trains and took the flour to Carson, Nevada.† It was at the time of those wonderful mines at Virginia were yielding so much of the precious metals. Mr. Birch and myself continued in business for some time, buying goods as opportunities presented.


In the Spring of 1 862, in accordance with a plan adopted for gathering the Saints from the frontiers I sent a yoke of cattle down to Florence to aid the incoming emigrants to Utah.† Albert Jones was the teamster in whose charge my cattle went this year and they were returned in good condition.† I furnished a yoke of oxen for the purpose several years-as I was now in good financial circumstances.

In the fall of 1862 I became acquainted with Ann Wride, the daughter of Danson Wride of Cardiff, South Wales, and in accordance with the law on marriage as prevailing in the Church, she became my plural wife.† We were married in the old Endowment House, Salt Lake City, in October 1862.


During the troubles with the Indians in 1866 and 1867--known as the Black Hawk War I acted as Commissary and advanced supplies from my store to the men that were ordered into the field from Provo City. The

scenes of the troubles were mostly in Sevier and Sanpete Counties 1867.† The settlers of the two counties suffered great loss during this war.

At the first call for a company of cavalry to intercept Black Hawk, who was reported to be raiding in the West in and beyond Tintic Valley I responded and was gone from home several days under the command of General B.


I continued in business for several years, part of the time with Mr. Robert C. Kirkwood as partner.† But in consequence of a system of Cooperative merchandising being introduced by President Young about this time, we suffered reverses in business and ultimately failed.† This was brought about by a spirit of excitement that held sway during the start of the movement; the idea became general to support nothing but Cooperative Stores.† I had showed my willingness to support the new movement by subscribing $ 500.00 stock in the store, but so intense was the effort to support the new movement that my store was under a boycott as it were.


After this I went to the Tintic Mining District.† This was about 1870.

But it being a new camp I did not succeed in business there.† However, I gained an interest in some mining claims that subsequently furnished me with several thousand dollars at different times.

I again returned to Provo and started up in the baking and provision business.

Now I record a gloomy and sorrowful episode in my life, about the l0th of August 1886, my wife, Ann, went on a visit to her brother, Barry Wride, at Payson.† While there, on the 13th and while taking a ride in the buggy struck a large boulder with such force as to nearly upset the buggy.† My wife was so frightened and her heart being affected-it stopped beating, and she died almost instantly She was the mother of nine children.† Two of her boys died very young, leaving living at her death seven children three boys and four girls. her youngest child, a boy, being three months and twelve days old.

This was a sad blow for us as a family. My wife, Elizabeth, having nine children living, had seemingly all that she could attend to, but notwithstanding all this, she left the store where she was then living and moved back to the house that J had bought of A.P. Winsor where Ann had lived, and took charge of the whole of the children, and raised Ann's children with her own-my wife, Elizabeth, has truly been a mother to them as well as her own.

At this date I have fifteen children married and one single at home. I have fifty-five grand children and two great grand children and am proud to say that all of my children so far have lived at home until they got married.

Pioneer Heritage Library \ Histories and Chronologies \ History of Utah by Orson F. Whitney \ Volume 2 \ Chapter XIII 1868-1871

Orson F. Whitney, History of Utah, Vol. 2, p 283

As stated, the tendency of the prevailing instructions as to trading with outsiders was having the most serious effect upon that class of commercial men throughout the Territory.† Their stores were nearly deserted by customers who passed them by on their way to Mormon business houses next door.† Even where Mormons and Gentiles were in partnership the ban was still maintained.† In the list of persons coming within the latter category was Samuel S. Jones of Provo, who having bought out the mercantile business of Messrs, Joseph Birch and Lewis Robison, and affected a partnership [p284] with Ben. Bachman, Esq.. a Jew was prepared to contest with Peter Stubbs and Kimball & Lawrence, --whose Provo establishment dates from early in 1868.† The honor of being the leading business house of Southern Utah.† But the teachings of the October Conference at Salt Lake wrought a great change in affairs.† Mr. Jones' orthodoxy was beyond question, but Mr. Bachman, however popular he may have been in other respects, stood outside the pale and was made the unwitting obstacle to turn trade from his own and his partner's door.† Noting these effects, and conscious that there could be but one result, and that not long deferred, Mr. Jones' active mind was quickly turned in the direction of the destined system of co-operation, and he felt that in his own case and indeed in the case of all save the dealers who were profiting by the monopoly the quicker the change was made the better.† He plumply said so to a companion--Elder David John-with whom he was returning from a Sunday school meeting one evening late in autumn, and the two agreed to lay the matter of an immediate organization before President Smoot next day.† The appointed meeting was held, others followed it, and at one of them, held December 4th, 1868, the matter was definitely acted upon and a preliminary organization effected.† Besides President Smoot. the speakers who advocated the measure were S. Jones, Peter Stubbs, David John, Myron Tanner. E. F. Sheets-who had been one of the attendants at the Salt Lake meeting in October and had afterwards spoken and labored earnestly for the cause-and some others.† The subscriptions at the meeting amounted to nearly $5,000, and the prevailing opinion was that business should begin early in the spring.† Other meetings of the stockholders and temporary officers were held and during the month additional stock to the amount of $12,000 was subscribed.† On January 5th, 1869, it was resolved in a meeting of the directors that the company's name should be the "Provo Co-operative Institution," and a committee on by-laws was appointed.† Then came a meeting of shareholders on the 8th of February which was also attended by President Young, Apostles Richards, Cannon and Smith, Henry W. Lawrence and [p.285]

Mission Experiences

Elk Mountain Mission the church news Feb 17th 1974


" A Sharps carbine model of 1859. The curiosity of this Sharps carbine is that it is equipped with a Maynard tape cap primer.† It also has a cap box of brass on the side.† The cap box cover is missing from the piece, as is the hammer.† The Sharps is one of the most widely used of the Civil War carbines.† Characteristically they are a .52 caliber, as is this one.

'These are three fine examples of the diversity of weapons used during this period."


Figure #9.

(Figure #9.) ęFour breech-loading rifles. Three are common to the Civil War and number four of interest in Utah history."

#4656-Gun belonged to Kenneth Fred Kempton.† Been in the family for four generations.† Early model made by Browning at Ogden, Utah.† Has seven notches filed on, indicating seven Indians were killed in protecting the family in Pocatello, Idaho. Donor, Kenneth Fred Kempton.

"This was one of the first patents of John M. Browning, famous gunmaker.† This Browning falling block single-shot rifle was one of his first falling block action rifles.† It was designed to be a heavy caliber buffalo gun.† It has an octagonal barrel and its caliber is .45."

#7275--Rifle owned by Peter Stubbs, pioneer of September 25, 1853.† He and John Hindley built a small store and bakery at Camp Floyd while the fort was occupied by Johnston's Army.† The rifle was made by Spencer Repeating Company, Boston, and Massachusetts, patented March 6, 1860. Donor, Frank Wride Stubbs.

"The most common of the Civil War breechloaders and the breechloader that was the only real repeating rifle used during the Civil War.† This is a Spencer saddle carbine.

Rifle. Owned by Peter Stubbs. Born 13 Dec. 1824, Newton Middlewich, Cheshire, England. Pioneer of 25, September 1853.† Joseph W. Youngís Company. Died 1 June 1906. Provo, Utah.

Peter Stubbs and John Hindly joined together and built a small store and bakery at Camp Floyd.† Then a Military Fort occupied by the Sidney Johnstonís Army.

They continued this business, until the public Auction, 14 July 1861.† Peter Stubbs learned the Bakery trade in England.

The Rifle was a Spencer Repeating Rifle Company.† Boston, Mass.† Patented 6 March 1860.† Serial Number 12244.† The rifle came into Frank Stubbs possession Aug. 1922†

Donor. Frank Wride Stubbs Son.† To the Pioneer Memorial Museum in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Pioneer Heritage Library \ Guides and Indexes to Diaries, Autobiographies, and Manuscripts \ MorD1on Manuscripts to 1846 \ Guide to Collections \ H

Mormon Manuscripts to 1846 Guide to Lee library. 8VU HESS, MARGARET STEED (1884- ).

Collector. Papers, 1789-1943. Photocopies. 3 folders.

The collection consists of biographical and autobiographical materials of ninety-nine early pioneers and residents of Davis County, Utah, of which the following entries have accounts dealing with pre-1847 Church history:† Thomas Marsh Abbott; Gideon Brownell; Emily Jane Smith Burk; Elvira Annie Cowles; Mary Field Garner; David Garner; Luduska Salome Tupper Grover~ Sarah Ann Garr Burton; Thomas Grover; William 0. Haight Caroline Workman Hess;

Emeline Bigler Hess~ John w. Hess; Henry Lyman Hinrnan; Joel Hills Johnson; William Derby Johnson, Sr. James Leithead, Henry William Miller; John Preece~ Luvera Ellen Ensign Preece;

William Preece; Nanny Longstroth Richards; Willard Richards; Jane Walker Smith; Caroline Holland Steed; Sarah Elnora White Stevenson~ ~ Stubbs; Harriet Betsey Teeples; Catherine Van Velsor. (For greater detail, see individual entries.)

Pioneer Heritage Library \ Biographical Sketches, Stories, and Photographs \ Our Pioneer Heritage \ Volume 12 \ Zion's Co-operative Mercantile Institution \ Utah County

Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol 12, p 177 under this situation, Provo was destined to play an important part in the establishment of co-operation in the Territory. Samuel S. Jones had formed his partnership with Ben Bachman, an "outsider" and therefore came under the business ban.† The trade of the firm had largely gone to their competitors) and Kimball & Lawrence, the latter, a Salt Lake firm, having built a fine brick store and established a business at the southwest comer of the block at the intersection of Center Street and University Avenue.† Mr. Jones was an orthodox Mormon, and quickly concluded that his only course lay in the direction of co-operation, and the sooner he acted the better.† He broached the subject to a friend, David John, as the two were returning from a Sunday School meeting one evening later in the fall, and the two decided to lay the matter of an immediate action before President Smoot the next day.† This done, and after several conferences, at a meeting held December 4, 1868, a preliminary organization was effected.† The subscriptions at the meeting amounted to nearly $5,000, which, during the month, was increased to $17,000. On January 5, 1869, a name was selected-Provo Co-operative Institution, later known as the East Store.

Pioneer Heritage Library \ Guides and Indexes to Diaries, Autobiographies, and Manuscripts \ Guide to Archives and Manuscripts Collections In Selected Utah Repositories \ Guide to Collections \ Utah State Historical Society, Salt Lake City

Guide to Archives and Manuscripts Collections In Selected Utah Repositories Stubbs, Peter 1824-1906.


5 pp.: photo copy of typescript.

Born in England. Immigrated to Utah in 1853, and settled in American Fork. Merchant and farmer. witness to major events in pioneer Utah history.

Location: Utah State Historical Society. Salt Lake City, Utah.

1. Frontier and pioneer life--Utah. 2. American Fork (Utah). 3. Utah County (Utah). 4.


Pioneer Heritage Library \ Biographical Sketches. Stories. and Photographs \ Our Pioneer Heritage \ Volume 7 \ The Story of Mining in Utah \ Tintic Mining District

Our Pioneer Heritage. Val 7, p 105 Walter Fitch (1936) is one of the few survivors of the sturdy band of mine makers who amassed wealth and distinction at Tintic.† Well known mine owners, operators and capitalists, in addition to those mentioned, who were instrumental in developing the mines of the district were Watson Nesbit Sr., Peter Stubbs, Jacob Lawrence, C. H. Blanchard, L. E. Riter, Claude and Rone Wheeler, Noah Armstrong, W. S. and Clarence McComlick and A. W. McCune.

Pioneer Heritage Library \ Biographical Sketches, Stories, and Photographs \ Our Pioneer Heritage \ Volume 12 \ Zion's Co-operative Mercantile Institution \ The First Meeting

Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol 12, p. 134

December 4, 1868, a meeting was held in Provo, attended by President Brigham Young and presided over by A. O. Smoot.† At this meeting a resolution was adopted suggesting the establishment of a co-op store in Provo, and under the leadership of such men as Samuel S. Jones, Peter Stubbs.† David John and others, subscriptions were raised in the amount of nearly $5,000, and on January 4, 1869 the name of the Provo co-op Institution was chosen and a committee on bylaws was appointed.† A meeting held in February by the same organization was attended by President Young and several of the apostles at which time President Young encouraged the group in their endeavors, and advised the directors to obtain goods directly from the East, and undersell the Salt Lake merchants, which, if they feel themselves injured, have no one to blame except themselves.† President Young subscribed to $5,000 in stock.† On his return to Salt Lake City, Editor Cannon of the Desert News wrote. ď Provo has set an example of which Salt Lake City needs not to be ashamed to imitate.Ē


Sister of Peter Stubbs

This sketch of the life of Mrs. Mary Stubbs Hindley is dedicated to her niece Sarah Ann Stubbs, her daughter, granddaughter or nearest female relative or lacking any of this family, to go to one of the first female descendants of my husband, the above John Hindley, who may be living in this county or territory and in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints the year of the Jubilee 1030.†

This was written during the Jubilee of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in the year April 1881.† To my Heiress who may be Eving and in this Church fifty years hence or the next year of the Jubilee of 1930. This short sketch of my life is dedicated, bearing Testimony of the Truth of the Gospel, and of the Goodness of God to me, His handmaid.† I was born in Middlewich, in the County of Chester, England. Europe, on Sunday, the 14th day of December 1818.†

My Father was Peter Stubbs, a Millwright, eldest son of Peter and Emma Leech Stubbs, he also a Millwright, my Mother was Jane Steele Stubbs, youngest Daughter of John and Mary Landback Steele.† He a Turner and Chaffimaker, all of the above town.† I was the firstborn child of my parents, and the oldest grandchild of both families.† I was a delicate child, but quick to learn and observe, could read my Bible well before I was six years old.† Was raised to the Church of England, through my Motherís family were Wesleyans.† I had a splendid memory, and retained the texts and many portions of the sermons I heard from the pulpit, and thought and studied them in my mind.† When not more than six years old, I got very nervous at what I heard preached.† About all being in danger of Hell Fire and Brimstone, both old and young, and wondered what I, a child so young, had done that I should be burned in Fire.† I would go to sleep a dream of it and wake up in terror.†

About this time my Motherís health failed, she was sick a long time, and when I was six years and 10 months old she died.† Not quite 29 years old.† Oh, what agony I endured for one so young, I had been so fond of her, and jealous of her love, also of anything offending or injuring her.† Her death also most broke my heart, and threw me into a state of health bordering on Consumption for a year or more.† I used to fret and want to go to her.† I would dream that she came for me; I would see her in the clouds and climb on anything in my way to reach her hand.† Which she stretched out for me, I could not reach her.† The disappointment would be so great, I would wake up and greave for days.† I would here say that my Father broke up housekeeping after Motherís funeral, my Grandfather Steele took me home to live with him my sister Emma went to live with Grandfather and Grandmother Stubbs, and my little brother ten months old was put to nurse elsewhere.†

This Grandmother died in less than a year after Mother, both Grandfathers had to have housekeepers and thus we were separated.† When about seven years and six months old I began to feel better and thinking of going to school again.† One night, I commenced dreaming very singular dreams, about death.† I would wake up from one dream and relate it to the housekeeper with whom I slept, and falling to sleep again dream others, until I had six of them.† Each one pertaining to different periods of my life.† I remembered these dreams for many years and have told them many times, but since I have been in the Church those relating to my later life have gone from me.† I will here relate the first dream.† I thought I was sitting on one side of the fireplace in my Grandfatherís sitting room, and my Uncle George Steele, my Motherís youngest brother, then a single man at home, was sitting on the opposite side in his Fatherís armchair.† We heard footsteps coming down stairs and in walked a tall man dressed in black, and very gentlemanly in appearance he commenced taking to Uncle, and pointing tome said.† In these words, "I am the Angel Gabriel.† I am that Childís guardian Angel, Death is now fighting with your Father for her life, give me those books, (pointing to a cupboard that was behind me) and I will save her".† The books alluded to were hymn Books of the Episcopalian, Methodist and Calvinist Churches that had been given to me, and which I prized very much.† At these words, I rose hastily from my chair, and rushed past the Angel, upstairs to tell Grandfather, whom I seemed to know was in his bed.† I burst into the room, and through a circle of dwarfish men or soldiers, with their guns in their right arms as soldiers carry them on guard, bayonets on them, and the sun shining and glistening on them through the window, showing it to be midday, I had just time to see the occupants of the bed.† I saw Death with his face beaten to a Jelly by my Grandfather, he had conquered him.† The angel had followed me, and just as I broke the ranks and saw this, he caught hold of me to save me from their power and I awoke.†

I did not stay much longer with Grandfather Steele, Motherís sister was afraid that he made a favorite of me over her daughter four months younger, and made trouble so that my Father took me away to live with him and my sister and brother at our other Grandfathers.† After this I began to gain health and cheerfulness, having the company of children.†

Fatherís oldest sister Aunt Sarah James lived nearby and took great interest in us.† In May 1827, her husband, William James, died aged 40 years.† Leaving her with two children, a boy, four years and 6 months, and a little daughter 2 years and 3 months.† My Father and this sister being very much attached to each other, he took us, his children, Ana went to live with her for company, and protection, she being in the Inn keeping business.† But this did no last long. The May following, she married again to Jeremiah Wilkinson, who kept the Head Inn in the town. This caused a separation once more of our family my Father remaining a boarder at the house my Aunt left.† My brother and sister were put to board with some cottagers and Aunt being my Godmother thought it right to take charge of me.† Father was reluctant, but she prevailed, I was at this time nine years and near six months old.†

I went to day school a while, but being as I have said before a quick child to team.† I could write tolerably and being a good reader an speaker, Aunt began to make use of me in her business, and only sparing me to go to school from 6 to 8 oíclock in morning in summer and the same hours at night in winter to an old gentleman nearby.†

In 1830, My Father took cold, which brought on Inflammation of the kidneys.† He was sick all summer, thought he was getting better and made arrangements to marry again in October and take his children home to him.† But man proposes and God disposes.† Before the time appointed, his disease developed itself into a quick consumption, and on the 28th of that month, 1930.† I stood at the foot of his bed and saw him depart this life.† Leaving us totally orphaned.† I used to sit by his bedside a good deal of the week or two of his life and remember how he prayed for his children, asking our Heavenly Father to watch over and protect us.† His orphans, knowing that He has promised to be a Father to the Fatherless, And whether to answer to his prayers or not I cannot say, Yet how well do I realize how He has fulfilled his own promises, and cared for and protected, and blessed us through the many snares and temptations and trying scenes of our lives, which I cannot enumerate, though many of them are very vivid to my recollection, and I can trace the Hand of the Lord over me through my youth up to the present day.† Thanks are to His Holy Name, I stayed with this Aunt and when in my fourteenth year had a serious siege of the smallpox, after that I had the Erysipelas in both eyes, which came near to blinding me.† Had my legs and feet scalded twice in a few months, besides other disasters and sicknesses?†

When near sixteen I prepared for and received confirmation by the Bishop of Chester and the advice then received was beneficial to me.† In the midst of a gay and public life as safeguards from the evils that surrounded me, I used to spend my spare it me (which was but little) in searching the scriptures and took special delight in reading the prophecies of the Old Testament.†† As well as those of the new, also the sayings and doings of the Savior interested me very much.† Often comparing their plainness with the mystery that seemed to envelop the present teaching in the Churches and through but a girl surrounded by everything but those of a spiritual nature, I longed for a plain understanding of the Will of God that I might know how to live and wondered why.† He did not speak plain to us, as He did in days that were past.† Not being able to find a solution to this mystery, I went on doing as well as I could.† Annís husband died, She was again a widow with three children, She kept on business for two or three years when through dishonest men who had to do with her business she failed and I had to seek a home.† I was just turned eighteen at this time, had never been away from my native place.† I stayed amongst my friends a few months, or until the last week in February 1838, when I left and went to the town of Manchester and took service with a Gentleman and Lady as Parlor Nlaid. They were but four in the family and had cook and housemaid besides myself I lived with them eight months and two weeks; this period seemed to be the quietest, happiest time I had known for years.† The gentlemanís health was bad and they moved to the outskirts of the town for his benefit to a new home.†

It was here that I met a young man, a painter, John Hindley, this was in September and in January of the following year, 1839, and we were married at the Old Church in Manchester, Lancashire, England.† I had taken a severe cold in the fall before my marriage, it lingered on me through the winter and spring debilitation me so that I had a miscarriage and never recovered my health during summer. And when fall and winter set in, I was still more miserable and continued so until early in March 1840, I took my bed with inflammation of the lungs and Fever.† I was worn to a skeleton by this time.† It seemed almost impassable I could live.† I was more or less unconscious for some weeks, and kept very low until about the last of April.† I was so tired of bed yet so entirely helpless.† My right shoulder blade seemed coming through the skin and my right ear almost off.† Not being able to he any other way, I rallied in spirits a little and begged to be got up and carried down stairs.† I could not sit up in the chair without being blocked in all round to keep me from filling out.† I had no use of any legs or feet.† I was often left alone, and when the doctor came to visit me, he had to walk in and upstairs to my room.† The first time he came and found me downstairs he stood and Gazed on me as it I were a Ghost, and when I spoke to him he lifted his arms and hands and seriously said, "Oh, Mrs. Hindley if ever you are able (though I doubt it) you most go down on your knees and thank God you are here.† I never thought to see you leave your bed alive.† It is most miraculous; I have treated you as a dying patient from the first.† However, through the mercies of my Heavenly Father I gained a little day by day and a young friend came one day and I would dress me and take me out.† She had to carry me, and sit down and nurse me.† She took my by the shoulders like a baby to get me to my feet.†† From that time I began to get strength a little.† I had eaten no solid food for near three months, I kept on improving and in summer went into the country for a while, which did me a great deal of good.† So the Lord raised me up from this fearu siege, contrary to all expectations, On New Years Day, 1841, we went to Bollington in North Cheshire near Macclesfield where my husbandís parents lived.† In the spring just one year from the time of my sickness, I began to feet the effects of the treatment I had received from my physician, which had been of an injurious character, ruining me for life. This is why I am childless. The medical man I was under that I would be likely to fall into Consumption from the treatment received now informed me.† We remained in this small town seven years lacking two weeks.† On the 14th of December 1847, we moved back to Manchester where my brother and sister both lived and were members of this Church.† My health was again miserable.†

I was ordered to go out as much as possible into the open air, and into cheerful company.† Through this means I got amongst the Latter Day Saints and heard the Gospel I studied thought of the principals and could not gainsay them.† I believed and desired baptism one day while visiting a little with a sister in the Church, she having heard my brother and sister speak of my sufferings, and that it seemed I was a living miracle.† She told me that I had been raised up and preserved for the future by the power and grace of God because He had a work for me to do.† This was before I was baptized.† My husband was not inclined to me a religious man, and it seemed hard to approach him on the subject and I did not wish to go underhanded.† I also felt it necessary that he should walk with me hand and hand.† I kept getting worse and was more in bed than out of it by day as well as night.† I began to feel that I should die if I did not obey the ordinances.† I started out one day the 3rd of March 1848, for a little change and to see a lady who was indisposed, when a short way from home, I met my sister coming for me.† There were going to be some baptisms that evening.† She was anxious for me to go.† Believing as I did that I should be healed and restored to reasonable health and strength.† Circumstances were favorable and I went.† I was baptized by Elder William Dunn of Manchester Branch, and received a testimony that night of the truth of the Gospel and the power of faith. And was so far restored to health immediately as to be able to attend to my home duties. This was on a Friday evening and on Sabbath day I went to meeting and was confirmed. That to me was a great day. There were a good many Saints bearing their farewell testimonies, speaking in Tongues, and who were leaving in a day or two for America, I felt strong to battle for the right after this, My husband was very wroth for a while when he knew, and was sorely tried.† But seeing my firmness, and being taunted by some of his friends that he would lose me, finally came to the conclusion to attend meetings and find out for himself what there was in it.† And in September of same year was baptized into the Church, I did not know what to think of the Emigration for I was very much afraid of the water.† I was feeling very sad one evening from some cause.† And went to the next ward meeting.† I was at a brotherís house.† It was very full. There was a splendid meeting and the Spirit was upon me to bear testimony to the work, but was too tired to rise.† The meeting was about to be closed.† When an Aged brother rose and begged for a little time, as the Spirit told him there were sisters who wanted to speak.† He called on them to rise and speak and they should be comforted.† This brought me to my feet and I bore testimony to the Truth.† A brother Ditchfield in the room stretched out his arm and began to prophesy on me and told me to put away my fears of the waters that my way should be opened.† And that soon, to emigrate, that God would give his Angels charge concerning me, and though Danger, Sickness and Death should surround me while crossing the mighty deep, you shall set your feet on the Land of America and prosper and go forward to the Land of Zion, etc.

I began from this time to set my mind to work and finally the way opened.† And we prepared to leave that fall.† We left Manchester on the 3rd of September and sailed from Liverpool on the 5th 1849, on the ship Berlin for New Orleans.† I was prophesied on by several of the Saints before leaving.† They said many things that were comforting to that and me have since been fulfilled and that by me on my journey they seemed as it written in words of Fire.† When ten days out the Cholera commenced its ravages in our midst, and in three weeks it had slain 43 or 44 men, women and Children. It was fearful. But I feared not, the sayings of Servants of God were with me. Out emigrants were not all to the Church,í There were a good many outsiders and part were of them. We landed in New Orleans on the 24th of October, making the trip in 6 weeks and 5 days. We were very glad to set our feet again on terra funia, We were counseled to stop the winter there and a branch of the Church was formed under the Presidency of Thomas McHenie.

When we had been there a little time my husband took the fever and ague bad for several weeks, but finally recovered. He had plenty of work abide there but a man cheated him of considerable and that with his sickness left us rather bare of means when spring came. And we had to leave on the 26th of March and go to St. Louis.† We got there about the 2nd or 3rd of April 1850; He went to work immediately at his trade as general house painter, whitener, etc.† And was very successful while there.† But for sickness again.† He was attacked with dumb chills or ague. He was so bad that the Doctors told him he would have Its either go to some seaport town or back to his native land. This was a great temptation to him for he had not known sickness there.† He also thought if we went back besides establishing his heaw he might bring his parents into the Church and bring out with us again, I remembered the sayings of prophecy tome that I should go through if I had to go alone, and felt this was a trick of the Evil One to keep my husband back. I was firm and would no go and believed he would not go without me. Though I go him ready to go at any sacrifice to my self believing it I was faithful he would not leave me but would be restored to his wanted health and strength and that we would be blessed and prospered, and to the contrary if we turned back, And so it was when the man called that was to accompany him he did not feel that he could go, and my heart rejoiced, for I knew that would be the last of it. He got better and went into business again and did well. In the spring of 1852, my sister came from England and her two children and we expected My brother the following season if all was well and I hoped we would be able to come all together to this valley's of the mountains and began preparing some for the journey. In the fall of that year my husband took cold, and Rheumatism set in his limbs, He suffered a great deal and was very lame. So that at first he had to be carried to his job in a chair to superintend the men. He managed tot keep his work and men going on. In the spring of 1853 my brother came as we expected, he came in the ten pound company but we got him to stay and take our team, which he did from St. Louis by the way Keokuk, while we stayed to make further preparation in the way of our outfit and also because my husband had so many orders come in. It was hard work to close business as the means were very desirable, but we managed to get ready in time to leave with the rest by boat with our luggage on the 29th of May, Only I had to leave my sister behind and one child her oldest I brought with me. She had married again in St. Louis, and I have not seen her since up to this date. This has been a sore grief to me. They joined the Josephine's and I have no expectations of their coming. She is again a widow. She has two daughters married and two sons at home with her and we correspond occasionally, Her daughter, Mary Jane, that came with me married when about eighteen to John Mahnkin, a German. They stayed until they had three children, then moved to Ula in Colorado, We arrived in Salt Lake City, September 26, 1853, and stayed there until the 14th f December, then came south to this place, American Fork, where we have resided ever since. In the spring of 1854 my husband went back to St. Louis in the company with a Brother John Singleton on business and returned in 1855 bringing in across the plains a large company of Saints about 60 wagons. They arrived early in September and in February of the following year he married into the Holy Order of Plural Marriage with a young lady from the Isle of Man, Miss C. Robinson, We have lived together 25,vears. She has borne him 4 daughters who are A living at this time, also 4 sons, 3 of them are living, one died in infancy. They are a very nice family. Two daughters are married; one to Jefferson Eastmond, and has two little sons, the other is just a few weeks married to Alva A. Green, all of this place. In January 1868, 1 was called to preside over the Relief Society that was being organized for the first time since the Saints left Nauvoo. It is now thirteen years since we were first organized in this city, American Fork; I have remained in that office up to the present date. In March of that same year my husband took unto himself another wife, Miss Eliza Williams from Shrewsburg in England. He has now all three of us living under the one roof and we area a very happy family. I have met with several accidents of late years, in September 1872, 1 fell and broke my left wrist and was terribly bruised and shook in my body by the fall. On November 3, 1877, while on business in Provo, accompanied by our eldest son, John H. Hindley, and two of our daughters, Eleanor and N4innie, and Sister Alice Greenwood of this place. I had a fall from the wa on and broke my right leg, right leg, just above the ankle. Both bones 9 broken. A compound fracture, and when near three weeks done, I took cold which brought on the Pleurisy, with a fearful cough, shaking 15 weeks in bed and was until March before I got out again to meeting with my husband's help. November 5, 1878, 1 was thrown out of a wagon. Into the American Fork Creek and came near drowning. These accidents, after the other have aged and debilitated me a great deal, but I am truly thankful that my life has been spared, and that I have the use of my limbs. I was greatly blessed in my afflictions by kind friends who offered up their prayers in my behalf, together with the ministrations of the Gospel and the Goodness and Mercies of my Heavenly Father, I have been preserved thus far, and though at this time I am suffering with my lungs, I will trust Him in the future, that he will bear me up, until I shall accomplish the things spoken on my head, by one of the Patriarchs of the Church. I rejoice that I ever heard the sound of the Everlasting Gospel, and became a recipient of the same. Hoping also that a sufficient portion of His Holy Spirit may be with me to the end. That I may be found worthy; to do the work allotted me for my Dead. And all things that have been spoken and prophesied on my by the servants of the Lord, and also that I may be worthy of a Salvation and Exaltation with the Sanctified in the Celestial Kingdom of my Father in Heaven, I not only desire this for myself but for my husband, for his wives and children, for my brother and family, and for the ening ones of my family, that they may return to their allegiances and the Service of the True and Living God. Also for all the Household of Faith and the Honest in Heart everywhere, and my brethren and sisters with whom I am surrounded and mingle with from time to time. That we may meet and enjoy a happy reunion hereafter in the reahns of Glory never more to part. Yet how much I feel my weakness and unworthiness for so great expectations and blessings. But in Humility I trust in our Merciful Redeemer, to plead for and them, at the Throne of Grace, for Jesus is the only Nwne by whom we can approach the Father, and obtain Salvation. I also wish to say that I have enjoyed many happy and refreshing times with my sisters in the Relief Society of this town and elsewhere besides our being able to do a great deal of good among the poor and the sick of this place. I expect that most likely it will be that you who receive this will be one of the daughters or grandchildren of my Brother, Peter Stubbs, now living in Provo City, or one of the descendants of my husband, Whoever it may be that are entitled to receive it I leave you my blessing and say the blessing of Almighty God be with you is the prayer of your ancestress, Nlrs. Mary Stubbs Hindley, American Fork, Utah County, U. Territory in my 62nd year.